Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A friend's earth-shattering loss.

I have a friend from high school. We stay in touch over the internet... not incredibly regularly, but regardless, I know what's happening in her life.

I was blown away by what changes were in store for her when she announced a while back that she was pregnant for the first time. She and her husband were expecting... TWINS! I remember thinking "Wow. Twin babies in a first pregnancy. WOW."

She happily posted photos as the weeks crept by. 15. 16weeks. 18. Then 19.

At 19 weeks, 4 days, she had a routine appointment. Everything ok! No red flags. All well and fine.

At 19 weeks, 5 days, at 3am, she awoke. Something wasn't right. They went to the hospital, only to find out nothing could be done. The girls were coming, nothing could stop the labor, and they were too young to survive.

So, on March 30, 2011, Lyla and Kate were born. She described them as perfect babies, just small. Both lived for a few hours, both were baptized in that time.

And so, then also on March 30, 2011, Lyla and Kate died.

I'm so saddened by this. I can only imagine how much hearing of pain like hers will be amplified when someday I am a parent. I can't imagine what they are going through. I can't imagine what it's like to have your world calmed by doctor's appointments where everything looks normal and perfect, only to have this shattering thing happen.

It makes me so sad. I wish I could be a better friend right now, but I know my friend has a lot of good people around her. She sounded strong in her letter to her friends. I hope she and her husband gradually heal and are able to start a family.

1 comment: