Thursday, April 28, 2011

The untimely death of Officer Chris Kilcullen

This has been a weird week. On one hand, we have ecstatic highs relating to the move and the purchase of a house. And then there's the (finally uplifting news in the world) royal wedding. But, this excitement has been contrasted against horrible lows.

Last Friday, for the first time since 1934, my city lost a police officer.

He's my (former) boss's son. I'd met him a few times. He has two small children and wife, and he was only 43. I keep thinking about his dad's pain and how utterly unfair this is for him and his family. Completely pointless and unfair. The unfair power that some lunatic with a gun and a single shot has over other people's lives and minds. Unfair. Heartbreaking.

The funeral is today, and I'm going, though I will only be one of likely thousands in attendance. The streets downtown are filled with trees and posts wearing blue ribbons in remembrance of Chris. I imagine that driving past them makes my ex boss proud and overwhelmingly sad.

In other, similarly sad news, my former law professor also died this past week. Like Chris, Keith Aoki died too young-- in his 50s. Cancer did it, and he, too, leaves behind a wife and children-- twin 9-year old girls.

So, in a week of highs and lows, I'm even more so grateful for what I have. I hugged my husband extra tight and told my family I love them. I hope to never feel the tragic pain the family members of those above are feeling, but I do hope they know how much their loved ones were loved by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment