Friday, September 16, 2011

Jar of Chick.

I have 11 meat chicks in a cage in the garage. They are ALMOST ready to head outside. They are about 4-5 inches long and almost fully feathered. They were going to go outside last week, but then the weather turned and I decided to give them a few more days.

They have a feeder, an upside-down mason jar which feeds into a bottom feeder.

Today, I went downstairs to check on them.

OH MY GOSH.

I found that the hungry little devils had knocked over the mason jar and, somehow, disconnected it from the plastic feeder portion.

AND ONE CHICK HAD CRAWLED INSIDE THE GLASS MASON JAR AND COULD NOT GET OUT.

You've GOT to be kidding me.

The chick would slip on the lip and fall back into the jar. When I tried to reach in to pull the chick out, the chick would tense up, becoming too large to fit through the mouth.

I could not make this stuff up.

So, I took a piece of rope and made a loop. I wriggled it up and over the chick's back and it plopped securely down around the chick's behind. Then, I pulled on it gently, causing the chick to tense up on the back, not the front, and pop out of the jar!!!

The little chicklet was no worse off for wear. Me? I was way worse off for wear. Don't do this to me, chicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment