Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Laundry room "oh, um"s

This laundry room project has been full of analyzing. And a lot of planning followed by "oh, um..." reconsideration.

Such as: Oh, um right. Our plan to wall in the laundry room? Great, but problematic if we want a glass door... We'd need a wide enough door to move the machines through (for someday replacement), and a glass door has issues since we'd have to somehow cut off part of the top diagonally because of the sloped ceilings. Oh right. That. The sloped ceiling and the fact that our laundry machines cannot be guaranteed to never break.


And then there's my idea to possibly move the machines 90 degrees. Turns out that extensions might not be a good idea and other ideas might be far better. Yes, the "oh um, I really don't want a flood on my third story" bit of the picture.


And then there's the oh, um, yea... access. We had planned on possibly making the wall on the left-hand side of the stairwell a floor-to-ceiling wall. That's all fine and dandy, but it has issues since we'd block off the access to a really cool possibly future storage area.

So, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking, yes, we'll enclose the stairwell... but it won't be with floor-to-ceiling walls. I also think that my original plan (taut fabric panels as "walls") might be the best bet, especially since they'd be movable. Plus, I could always add walls later on. Yes, a bit more difficult (since we'd have to cut up the flooring to add a wall, but definitely doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment