Friday, April 2, 2010

Edamame takeover and carne asada

Today I was going to show you pictures of my edamame plants from 1.5 days ago and then today, but my camera has stored today's photos somewhere I think I can only access with a cable.... so you only get the photos from 1.5 days ago.

1.5 days ago? 15 edamame sprouts. I was very excited.
Today? 76 edamame sprouts. No joke. And if they keep growing like they are, I will need to put them into bigger pots (still indoors because of the cold). AH! And super awesome. I'm very hopeful.

The weather is pitiful again outside. After a beautiful day yesterday, it's raining and windy outside today. Knowing this yesterday, I did not go out and actually plant anything. It woudl just get pelted with rain for the next 5 days and be near death by the end (or, if I planted any seeds, they'd likely get pushed around). So, instead, I organized and restocked my spice rack. It looks very pretty, and I'm very happy. But, the magnets are still not right, so I'm trying plan #23 (spices are heavy, magnets are not necessarily great at holding them up, so there have been many avenues pursued), hopefully today. Keep your fingers crossed that it works. Photos to come....

Hopefully, we will be having carne asada for dinner tomorrow night. I love the marinated beef, but I cannot replicate that darn marinade. So, here's the recipe I'm trying (maybe with a tweak or two provided by other recipes):
  • 1 1/2 pounds top round or boneless chuck steak, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
  • 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons steak sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 teaspoon savory
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
I'm very much thinking about pressure cooking the meat IN this marinade. Not only woudl that make it super tender and falling apart, but the meat would be infused. One problem I tend to have with beef is that it does not soak up marinades well, unless you slice it thinly and marinate for a while. I know I could do this, but I'm going to try the pressure canner instead. I'm using the canner tonight anyway to make chicken broth, so might as well use it right beforehand for the beef. And I'll be stuck indoors anyway because of the weather outside, right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment