Friday, February 13, 2009

Memory? What memory...

Today I had one of those so-much-needs-to-get-done-and-the-time-flew days. Seriously. Had to clean the apartment because it was beginning to drive me nuts. Couldn't get anything done there because the clutter was distracting. So I cleaned.

Cleaning involved vacuuming (which, I'm not sure we can make it much more on this one. It does not pick up animal fur. This is a problem). Vacuuming TERRIFIES Paddington, so I spent moments over the next 4 hours on my hands and knees, reaching under the bed to scratch the head of a terrified cat. I tried to be good and keep the door shut to the bedroom, but to no avail. I checked inside, and he was hidden. So I vacuumed the bedroom too. He was already scared, right? I felt like a horrible cat mama and I think I probably added an hour to his recuperation time. The other two monsters just gave me this "oh you suck, but whatever" look as they founced out of the room. 

I wooed Paddington later on with tuna juice from the can. I love that I can give that to them as a treat once in a while, and mix it with their kibble. Sigh... I just realized I left the darn bowl under the bed where I gave it to him. 

Tried to go to the post office, missed their hours, and then had the delightful discovery of learning that our post office is not open on Saturdays. Huh? Sigh. I feel badly for people who work during the week and don't get home until after 5:30. How do they ever get packages? Seriously... no late hours any day of the week. Ticked me off-- I couldn't get my (what I suspect is my) ping pong ball package that I'm using for wedding crafty stuff. Darn! Oh well, it probably is a blessing in disguise because now I'm not tempted to work on it this weekend. So much work to do. I cannot wait until the end of February when I have a life again and can work on wedding stuff. SIGH.

However, I did put together (it took me like 10 minutes-- used it as a break from working) two strands of overhead lanterns with my new organza that arrived today. SO EXCITED!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the organza. I have been wondering and wondering how to put together the lanterns we made (and will make... LOTS more), and when I saw this organza online I KNEW this was the solution. And it was cheaper than ribbon, go figure. The shipper/seller was very reasonable on prices, and the good thing is that if I need more, I know where to go to get more. I got seven spools of each color, so I hope that's enough. 


The colors at the right-hand side of this one (above) are pretty accurate to the real-life colors. The red still isn't quite right though.

This last picture shoes the colors a bit better. The red isn't at all pinkish; it's a nice normal red color (no burgundy, no pink. Just RED.). This picture still doesn't do a great job. Darn indoor flash. THe orange is best shown by the last lantern on the bottom left. It's a bright orange. Not a road worker orange, but a little less fluorescent. 

I'm going to hang a cable on opposite sides of the living room, that way I can attach future strands to the cable and only put four holes into the wall (to hold up the cable). I think I'll just hold the strands in place with paper clips or binder clips. It will also be a good way to measure how much to make. I'm going down the week after next to measure the reception hall. Then I can measure my living room, and that'll give me a decent estimate of how many "living rooms" of lantern strands we need for the hall. 

The plan is to have christmas lights (thanks T!!) on the ceiling, pretty much plastered to the ceiling with nothing hanging down. Under them will be these lanterns, as well as strands of plain organza (same colors), because the organza is beautiful. There will also (hopefully, if my idea works out) be dropped balls of the paper roses. I think it will all work nicely. The dance floor will have different but similar decorations, more on that later. 

So yawn. I find myself nearing the day's end with stuff accomplished, but having a long list of stuff to do this weekend. And no more wedding prep for me... all work for the next couple of weeks. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment