Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The drudgery of making

When you plant your plants, build your beds, tend the soil, and nurture seedlings in the late winter/spring, all that goes through your mind is:

"Gosh, I can't wait until I'm working WITH the products of my labor."

But.

Now that I have the products of that labor, I'm dragging my feet yet again. This is ridiculous. There should NOT be a drudgery of making things with the produce I've created. But I'm just so beat from OTHER projects that I drag my heels.

I really shouldn't.

So here's what needs to get done... for all the world to see (world being me and maybe a few readers?). Updates will occur. Maybe this will get me off my ever-growing behind.

  • Dig up all my fingerling potatoes. Store properly.
  • Dig up all my yukon gold potatoes. Store properly.
  • Trim/snip the roots off my garlics that are currently hanging in a big clump in the kitchen rafters. I love that my husband did this for me... but I may need to make that big clump into several smaller clumps. I'm worried about mold.
  • Make apple sauce, a LOT OF IT.
  • Make apple butter
  • Make dried apples.
  • Dig up the onions that are ready.
  • Pick and freeze some green beans.
  • Make more blackberry jam.
  • Make blackberry sauce.
  • Decide if I want to try making blackberry wine this year.
  • Make squash bread with some of my squash and freeze it.
  • Pick, wash, and freeze broccoli.
  • Figure out what I want to do with my peppers
  • Check on the pears and do fun things with them if they're ready.
So yes, there's my list. The apples, onions, and potatoes are at the top of my list as far as immediacy. Updates to come. I've decided these projects (most of them) take precedence over the perfect finishing of the shed project. The shed can wait, whereas produce will rot. So, produce here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment