Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pineapple Express

When a warmer front from the Hawaii-type area hits the Pacific NW in winter, it gets a funny name: The Pinapple Express.

It's not as great as it sounds.

The warmer weather means warmer rain, which melts the snow, which causes a LOT of water to be sent into already-full rivers.

But also, it's annoying. I mean, really. I just whipped out my winter gear, and you're going to suddenly make it in the 50s and low 60s during the day? Truly obnoxious, mother nature.

However, I do suspect that the warmer rain is great for my garlic, recently planted and in need of a good watering. Yes, I was too lazy to water it after planting, figuring "hey, this is Oregon and it's BOUND to rain in a day or two anyway." I was right.

So, we're left sludging. In warm water and mud.

Warmer weather also means smellier chicken. Stinkers. I am convinced there is no good way to handle chickens in the wintertime. Unless you're Martha Stewart and have a crew on hand to assist.

Anyway. I have a big thingie to put together for work, so I'm off to it. And I'll watch the warm rain fall outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment