Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Public Service Announcement: YEARLY TESTING

GET IT DONE, ladies: An annual pap test.

Someone near and dear to me in my life just got diagnosed with cancer. More on why you should get tested frequently, after the fun graphic...


I promised her I'd do a post, and, wholeheartedly, here it is. She's post-60 years-old. The average guidelines say "every two years," and the older-than-60 guidelines say every three years (this is under the new Obama health plan too).

In the words of the woman I know: "If I had waited three years, I'd be a dead woman."

Ovarian, uterine, and other female reproductive tract cancers are not to be messed with. The Pap smear in my friend? Revealed ONLY ONE PROBLEMATIC CELL. ONE. But, that one cell prompted more tests. A good doctor prompted thoroughness.

And a life-saving diagnosis was made EARLY, the most important word one can have accompany the word "cancer."

Yes, it's not fun. AT ALL. But it could save your life.

YEARLY, people, YEARLY. ANNUAL. Your health isn't something to be messed with.

Please share with those around you. You could be passing on very important information.

Thank you all kindly for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your friend's diagnosis. I am very bad at going once a year, so this is really an important message for me to hear. I hope her treatment goes well and she experiences a full recovery with minimal discomfort!

    ReplyDelete