Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blueberry Update, Wisteria, and Kale Recipe

I'm discovering muscles I knew I had, but that haven't been used in a long time. The blueberry raised beds are built, and they're in the process of being installed. It's been drizzly here, so the ground is wet. Wet ground = heavy. Heavy= muscles tested. I have 4 beds installed, and I'm hoping to get to the final 4 (haha) today. Those plants need to go in! Each bed is 2'x4' and 1' tall, and each will hold two plants, giving each plant a 2'x2' space. They may eventually need more space, but we're guessing by that time (YEARS from now), we'll be in a new place (hopefully, our very own place). But since that's years off, this is the plan for now. THey look good, and I'm being careful, using string and stakes) to get them in JUST so.

We've been thinking about what to use to create a small barrier between our plot and the shared tree area and back shared lot. No, we aren't being anti-social... we just thought it'd be nice to have an additional layer of privacy.

I'm leaning towards Wisteria. It loves the dirt and weather in our area, and the area I'm thinking of putting it would get at least 6 hours of sun in the summer (which is what it needs). It would get more winter sun because the trees wouldn't have any leaves.

(photo courtesy of

I think it will grow enough. I'm going to make a VERY simple trellis for it, and probably paint the trellis a violet color so to add some color to the vines in the dormant winter months. It's one of the plants we probably won't be able to take with us though (unless we cut it back and dig it up), so we'll have to find a decently cheap supply.

I was going to put climbing beans on the area, but it gets some partial shade, making it not the best spot for sun-needing beans.

So, last night, I had a lot of veggies in the fridge that needed to get used. I would have taken photos, but I honestly thought it wouldn't turn out well. But... it did. So, here's my new kale recipe.

3 cups chopped kale (chopped into approx 1/2" pieces)
3-4 roma tomatoes (you can use any tomato; but I wanted to say I used romas so you'd know the size)
1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (mine was 1.5" diameter)
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
4-6 red potatoes, chopped into approx 1/2" cubes.
2 cooked and chopped bratwurst (you can use any sausage, but I used this because we had some fresh, really really good, straight-from-the-farm, bratwurst)

BOWL 2 (liquidy ingredients)
1.5 cups cheese ( used an Italian 5-cheese blend, finely shredded, and a little cheddar)
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
4 eggs
2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
2 tbs olive oil

Mix ingredients of Bowl 1, and mix ingredients of bowl 2. Then mix together.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour mixtures (now all combined) into greased pan/casserole dish, and sprinkle with a little cheese. Cook for 35-50 minutes (it depends on the potatoes). Cover in foil for first 25 minutes, so cheese on top does not burn.

It turned out pretty darn well! I'll be using it again. I was just hoping to get rid of stuff in my fridge, but now it's a new recipe to add to our collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment