Friday, August 12, 2011

Shooting stars.

Tonight was the Perseid Meteor Shower.

I felt under the weather tonight, but it was warm outside, so we went outside and laid down on the hillside in the backyard. On the grass, looking up at the stars.

The golden boy was beside us. He thought it was the most glorious thing: his humans ON the grass. He was good, stared at the stars for a few minutes, got distracted by noises, was our pillow, and then circled us while laying on his tummy (like he knew not to stand up and block our view).

And it all allowed me to think. Think about how much our lives have changed in the past year, past two years, past three, past four. Wonder about what our lives will look like in those same amounts of time, and in five or ten years.

I thought about Bob's Grandma, who's had a rough time recently. I thought about those who are no longer with us, and how this time last year, my grandmother could have sat next to me and seen the same stars. And I thought about my blogger friend who miscarried her baby yesterday.

It wasn't all sad.. mostly it was just reflective. Lying next to Bob and the golden boy, with outlines of our other critters in the house windows and the clucking from the darn chickens who insist on sleeping in the lilac tree, we saw shooting stars. It was all a reminder to be thankful for what we have to remember and think of our family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment