Monday, March 23, 2009

Spaetzle success!

It's been years since I made spaetzle (or Spätzle, depending on if you want to use the umlaut or not) with my grandmother. But, I used her recipe last night and made spaetzle! YUM! Yum yum yum. I could eat a punch bowl of this stuff.

It's basically like 7 eggs and 5 cups flour and 1 cup water. You add more water or more eggs or more flour until it gets a sticky stretchy pancake batter consistency (thank goodness for my kitchenaid mixer!).
*
Then, you put ladels of the mixture into a Spatzle press. You can also use a cutting method where you use a knife and wood board and slice rows off into boiling water. This is more time-consuming and difficult. I swiped (well, she's loaned me) my mother's press.You wait like 30 seconds, and then the noodles float to the surface. Pull them out with a slotted spoon and put them in a collander! Voila. You can take a small amount of the boiled ones and pan-fry them too, if you want some to be crispy. That method is delicious, but not as healthy as regular boiling.
But OH SO GOOD!!! And seriously, I made enough to feed about 10 people really easily. This is going to be one of the foods at the wedding, so I'm glad a) that it turned out, and b) that it was as easy as I remember. It should also be noted that these noodles are freezeable, so I can make a bunch and freeze them without concerns.



No comments:

Post a Comment