Friday, July 24, 2009

more on infusing and wine

So, I'm well on my way to learning about wine and things. I've learned that you can use wine to can stuff up. The canning process creates a seal, which keeps the wine from turning bad. But, if you were to just plop some berries INTO wine, it'd eventually go bad because the alcohol content isn't high enough.

But this is ok, because that means I can still bottle up some lovely blackberries in red wine... Producing this sort of effect:


And we can always keep some berries in regular preserved states, so we can plop them in as garnishment later on.
Actually, I found a lot of good recipes. But, to keep it out of the fridge and to avoid needing to consume it relatively soon after it being made, you have to add alcohol.
In my hunting around, I came across this recipe, which sounds so deliciously decadent that I can't wait for fall so I can try it.
1/4 cup whole almonds
1/4 cup dried apricots, sliced
1/2 vanilla bean
24 ounces chardonnay
1/8 cup sugar
Toast almonds and apricots in 2-quart saucepan for 1-2 minutes or untill you smell aromas. Split vanilla bean down center and add to pan. Add wine and sugar and bring to steady simmer for 5 minutes but do not boil. Turn off heat and allow to steep, or sit, for 10 minutes to let flavors infuse the wine. Add up to another 1/8 cup sugar based on preference.
Yum, and probably not very alcoholic based on the cook time.

I'm still researching lavender water and vanilla water and stuff like that, because I think that'd be neat to make and spray on laundry. Right now we have this rice and shea spray that is so light and wonderful that we use it on laundry. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment